As we all know, the looks that the best fashion designers are showing on the runway will always be paired with the latest trends in women’s and men’s hairstyles. One of the best times to keep your eyes peeled for this is during Paris Fashion week. I was lucky enough be in Paris for the Mondial Coiffure Beauté (Paris Hair Show) at the beginning of this annual affair with Pino our artistic director. Since we definitely felt a buzz in the air, I wanted to look into what was really going on with hair and fashion in Europe. One of the big trends for fall/winter this year is skirts paired with sweaters. Designers like Nina Ricci, Bottega Veneta and Ralph Lauren all sported these different combinations of textures. The hair varied from each designer but what we saw were very simple looks. Nina Ricci showed loose ponytails that were tied back with a black ribbon. They were styled mainly with a center part to create a small amount of volume around the crown, and the looks were very smooth with long layers. This is a soft feminine look that is easily wearable for all age groups.
Bottega Veneta pays tribute to German actors Hedy Lamarr and Marlene Dietrich with this fall/winter collection. Hairstylist Guido introduced a modern take on this inspiration: “I kept thinking of Jodie Foster in Taxi Driver–disco hair, shoulder pads, power dresses. The 1940’s and the 70’s get interchanged.” He wanted to create a cloud of curls that was going to show off the silhouette of exaggerated collars and high necks. Guido made a detailed hair part that was right above the models’ highest point of the eyebrow. The part was combed over which followed an explosion of frizzy curls on both sides…definitely not an everyday look for the office.
As we look over to Ralph Lauren, Guido from Redken says that 90% of the models are in hats because of the designers’ idea of the American classic beauty this winter. The other 10% are showing an un-done pony tail with a small section of hair wrapped around the elastic. This is definitely a quick and easy look for the office!
This winter gives us a lot of ideas to play with (some of them easier than others). Possibly the hardest look to translate into everyday life was from Prada. In their display the hair was in tangled wet-looking waves with dark roots; similar to an ombré. To re-create this out-of-the-shower proposal, all you need to do is scrunch a wet-look gel (such as Moroccanoil Styling Gel) through your damp to wet hair and twist the ends with your fingers. This style was one of the most popular looks in Milan’s fashion week in September.
Check out some of the pictures below for all of the new styles for the season!